Our Easy Access Minor Illness Service.
Appointments - Telephone 01983 817200
Every time you telephone for an appointment, the Receptionist will ask about your symptoms. If you find it difficult to explain your symptoms over the phone or in Reception you have the right not to tell the Receptionist, however, it may mean that you are not appointed in the most appropriate clinic for you.
The Receptionist will see if the symptoms or condition you describe come within the list of conditions and symptoms that qualify for the Minor Illness Service. If they do, you will be booked with the one of the NP’s. If they don’t, the Receptionist will book you an alternative appointment or contact a GP.
You will generally be seen much quicker by the Minor Illness Service than by a GP
Most COLDS, COUGHS and SORE THROATS are viral infections and ANTIBIOTICS DO NOT work. For most people their own immune system will be able to fight the infection and regain the body’s health. By fighting the infection your immune system builds up antibodies against the virus and can use these later in your life if you come up against the same virus, thereby strengthening your immune response and resilience to future infections.
This website has very useful information on a wide variety of conditions
Who will treat me?
You will see one of our specially trained NURSE PRACTITIONERS (NP) based in rooms 7 and 9 at the Surgery.
A NP is a registered nurse who has done extra training and gained a qualification that enables them to make a full physical assessment of a patient, order and interpret tests, diagnose problems and decide on and arrange treatment without consulting a doctor. Both our NPs have received additional training in dealing with what we call “Minor Illness”.
This does not mean that you’re not ill and it doesn’t mean that we think your symptoms are unimportant. It means that you have something wrong that can probably be managed well by either of our NPs. If the NP feels that the condition you present with requires advice from the GP, they will either discuss your case with one of the GPs or ensure you are seen quickly by a GP.
Every patient seen by the Minor Illness Service will be treated properly and appropriately for their illness. By using this service, you release an appointment for a GP to see someone who may have very complex needs.
Please note that our Minor Illness Service is currently only available for patients 5 years and older. There are plans in the near future to expand the team and also to expand the service for children under 5 years old too.
Conditions that qualify for the Minor Illness Clinic are listed below:
- Headache / Migrane
- Neck pain
- Dizziness / Faintness / Vertigo
- Sea sickness
- Acute back pain (not chronic)
- Minor injuries / strains
- Minor head injury
- Insect bites / stings
- Oedema (swelling)
- In growing toe nails (Paronychia – infection near finger / toe nail bed)
- Dermatitis / Eczema
- Fungal skin infections
- Scabies / ring worm / athletes foot
- Pityriasis rosea
- Impetigo / Rosacea /Scarlet fever
- Localised rashes
- Cysts / boils
- Shingles / Chicken pox
- Warts / verrucae
- Head lice
- Depression /Insomnia
- Anxiety / panic attacks / phobias
- Cold / flu like symptoms / fever
- Sinusitis / blocked sinuses
- Sore throat / tonsillitis / swollen glands
- Acute cough
- Laryngitis / Pharyngitis
- COPD / bronchiectasis
- Asthma exacerbation
- Chest infection / Pneumonia
- Allergic reactions / Hay fever symptoms
- Red eyes / sore eyes / infected eyes
- Blepharitis ( sore eyelids)
- Sub conjunctival haemorrhage (blood shot eye)
- Stye (chalazion / meibomian cyst)
- Dental infections / mouth ulcers / cold sores
- Ear problems
- Oral candidiasis (thrush)
- Indigestion / Dyspepsia
- Diarrhoea and Vomiting
- Constipation / Abdominal pain
- Anal fissures / haemorrhoids (piles)
- Urine infections / cystitis / kidney infections
- Vaginal discharge / thrush / bacterial vaginitis
- Heavy menstrual periods (periods)
- Emergency contraception
- Repeat oral contraception
- Mastitis / nipple pain
- Balanitis (sore penis)
- Genital herpes / Sexually transmitted diseases
- Erectile dysfunction
- Threadworms / Pinworms